Now that preseason is upon us, League of Legends players have loads of new changes to get to grips with. Given the sheer amount of changes this time around, we thought it would be helpful to give you all a guide to the new masteries in the MOBA.
With the new masteries, Riot Games has given the whole system an overhaul, in an attempt to make things clearer and easier to understand. Riot is always changing things in the name of “clarity”, and these changes definitely seem like a step in the right direction. There are still three trees, but each of the mastery points are designed to have a much greater influence on the game.
This is the tree is all about dealing damage. The tree contains different masteries to give your champion more options on how they deal damage. The ferocity tree includes masteries that give you more sustain, attack speed, and damage options. We’ll post a summary of the Keystone Masteries in the Ferocity tree below.
- Warlord’s Bloodlust: This mastery is great on critical strike champions, as it includes attack speed and lots of healing.
- Fervor of Battle: Take this mastery on champions that auto-attack a lot, as the extra damage per attack stacks up.
- Deathfire Touch: Take this for champions that rely on abilities, as the damage over time element of the mastery is powerful.
The cunning tree is especially helpful for mages and supports, It has different options for utility and burst damage. There are masteries to help generate gold, improve movement speed, and to deal more damage to mage champions. Here are some of the most important choices from the tree:
- Stormraider’s Surge: This is an interesting mastery that helps you escape after bursting someone down, or chase if you didn’t quite manage to finish them off.
- Thunderlord’s Decree: This gives a nice little burst to your damage, as every 3rd attack or spell deals area damage around the target.
- Windspeaker’s Blessing: This is the ultimate support mastery, as it boosts healing and shields, and also the resistance of other allies.
The resolve tree is aimed mainly at tanky characters. Some of the most important masteries in this tree are there to help champions absorb damage, improve defense and generally survive longer. A lot of top-lane champions and supports will be able to find something they like in this tree. Here are some of the most important options to choose from in the Resolve tree:
- Grasp of the Undying: This turns your health pool into damage, as every time you auto-attack an enemy you will steal 3% of your max health from them.
- Strength of Ages: This mastery is good for gaining health quickly. Every time you kill a siege minion, you’ll gain health, up to a max of 300. Free stats are the best stats.
- Bond of Stone: This is just plain damage reduction, which is boosted when you’re near an ally. On top of this, it also help protect allies, as 8% of the damage they take is dealt to you instead.
Source: Official game homepage